For this project, we set out to inform the public about very important environmental issues and human impacts through the medium of video. We learned the ins and outs of these environmental issues; What are they? Why are they important? Who do they affect? What can humans do about it? Once we uncovered the answers to these questions we built our videography and editing skills to produce a short public service announcement about a specific environmental issue.
What are they doing to ecosystems and the environment? What are they doing to plants and animals? How do they eventually affect humans?
A lot of steps went in to creating our final public service announcements. We first learned about all the ins and outs of photography. We learned about good camera angles and utilizing natural frames and objects. After learning about camera angles, we learned about various environmental issues. We learned about the biology behind them, what humans are doing that is impacting the issue, and what humans can do to fix it.
After learning about these two major components of our project we were put into groups! Each group picked an environmental issue and started brainstorming ideas for what their PSA would look like. This was the stage where we started creating our storyboards and shot lists. We thought about what camera angles we were going to use, how we were going to inform our audience, and what organizations we were going to connect with based on our targeted audience.
My group ended up going with Microplastics and Biomagnification. We decided to do a cooking show, where the fish that the chef is trying to cook with is filthy with plastic. In order to make it look like a real cooking show set, we contacted Hip Cooks and they let us use their kitchen. We storyboarded our ideas, created a shot list, and got to filming.
We went on many field experiences to capture footage as well. We visited the San Diego Zoo, San Diego Safari Park, and the beach to gather more footage. After collecting all of our film, we went back to the classroom and started editing. After recording voiceovers and thorough critique and revisions we got out final products!